Why do business in Mexico?
Mexico is an emerging economy and open for business in a variety of industries. Here are a few reasons that make Mexico an attractive business destination:
- Highest ranking country in Ease of Doing Business of Latin America (#60).
- Located in North America, Mexico is the 2nd largest economy of Latin America.
- Excellent geographical location: in the north Mexico´s #1 trade partner USA, to the south Latin America. Large variety of ports on both the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans provide access to economies around the world. Solid road- air- and rail network connects Mexico internally. In 2019, Mexico was de world´s 12th largest exporter.
- Mexico is one of the emerging countries most open to foreign direct investment, the world’s 15th largest FDI recipient with a total stock of FDI of $US 628 billion (2019). Main investors: United States, Spain, and Canada. Most foreign investment is in the automotive industry (21%), electricity, water and gas supply finance, retail and wholesale trade, and financial services.
Sustainability & Water Management
The Mexican government has prioritized boosting Mexico’s economy through high-profile investments in the country’s infrastructure. Verticalization and transparency are the industry’s new buzzwords as cities are looking inward to accommodate not only growth but also the quality of life demands of citizens. Imbalances in water supply and demand across the country, ranging from flooding risk in the south to droughts in the north of the country, create opportunities to build on the already established Dutch-Mexican cooperation in water management.
- Water treatment solutions
- Unequal water distribution
- Water management in the energy sector
- Waste-to-Energy sector
- Climate goals: 35% energy consumption generated through renewable sources by 2024
- Renewable energy production through distributed generation
- Growing interest in electric vehicles and shifting view on mobility